About Family Empowerment Media
Family Empowerment Media is an evidence-based non-profit that aims to enable women to make informed contraceptive decisions through clear, compelling, and accurate communication.
The idea for the organization was conceived in August 2020 during the Charity Entrepreneurship Incubation Program after over 180 interventions were researched. In early September, we received our first seed funding grant. The next steps are to develop a prototype, proof of concept, and a pilot. By the end of 2022, we aim to reach 320,000 women in our country of operation.
- Locally adapted content designed to meet the specific needs of families in the communities we work
- One minute information adverts on radio 10 times a day, 7 days a week
- One 1-hour long call-in show per week for families to ask their specific questions to experts
- Families learn about the reproductive opportunities open to them
- Women who wish to take up a form of contraception know where they can find it
- Women who have previously been using contraception are reminded by the options they have
- Families who desire to take up new contraceptive methods get access to their desired form of contraceptives in local health clinics
- Families who desire to continue using the same method get access to their desired form of contraceptives in local health clinics
- Improved maternal health
- Reduction in fistulas, cesarean section, postpartum anemia, and postpartum depression
-Increased subjective well being
- Increased opportunities for children to attend school
- Families realize their contraceptive goals.
We are active members in the effective altruism community and strive to achieve optimal impact with the resources available to us. We define optimal impact, as helping the largest number of women to realize their reproductive goals, thus reducing the unmet need in our target population.
We aim to have the following principles to guide our organization:
Rigour and evidence: Rigour and evidence have formed our organization from its inception. We aim to continue to use evidence to guide our decisions, and we will be highly critical in evaluating the impact we are achieving.
Cultural sensitivity: We recognize that beneficiaries in different countries and locations have different information needs. We aim to base our content creation on formative research where our beneficiaries are actively involved.
Humility and transparency: We aim to be humble and open-minded while learning from other actors in the space and from our beneficiaries. We also aim to reach the highest standard of transparency.